Picture of Hi Elizabeth, what advice would you have for a 45 year old rock star who suddenly wants to play jazz for a change?

Hi Elizabeth, what advice would you have for a 45 year old rock star who suddenly wants to play jazz for a change?

Picture of Elizabeth
2 responses

Additional information

Always in my career as a TV producer, there has been a focus on sales -- we're building a product for consumers -- and I've honed my craft as a team leader up against tough deadlines. But can my skills translate to a different industry? I'm taking a certificate course to learn to code. Any advice?

Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Joshua H. asked a question to Elizabeth V.

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Thursday, September 19, 2024

Last reviewed: Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Picture of Elizabeth V.

Elizabeth V.

Senior Recruiter

In my experience, you can almost always find transferable skills that apply to different jobs and industries! For example, I used what I learned in college like communication and employment law to land my first recruiting job in the construction rental equipment industry. From there, I leveraged skills like active listening and attention to detail to transition into public safety as a 911 police dispatcher. I used my skills from both of those roles and emphasized my multitasking and relationship management skills to break into tech recruiting. It’s all about identifying the skills you have that align with the role you want and highlighting those! Your background in team leadership, managing projects under tight deadlines, and delivering products to consumers are valuable competencies that can translate well to many roles. Even in industries like tech, those project management and leadership skills, along with your ability to meet deadlines, will be highly relevant. As you're learning to code, you'll not only be adding a technical skill to your toolbox but also demonstrating your adaptability and continuous learning, which are qualities employers highly value. Good luck!

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Joshua H.

Thank you Elizabeth, this is wonderfully helpful and encouraging, and thanks for sharing the story of how you got where you are now--impressive! You must be a strong and dynamic individual. I can only imagine how harrowing it might be--the impact it might have on ones psyche--to dispatch 911 responders. Okay so now a fresh question for you, and I'll try to keep the context quick and concise. Lately I've been driving uber to keep my head above water while the whole entertainment industry undergoes a large contraction. I love picking people's brains and I love witnessing all the amazing construction projects in Austin! A recent rider told me that tech companies like Oracle and Salesforce will often have training modules online that individuals like myself can easily access and complete in order to improve their standing as candidates from another industry. Does such a thing exist for Procore? I want to make sure the discussion is useful for other people as well, so I'll leave off with the personal details there, and meanwhile I'll continue to research for a possible answer to my own question. Best wishes and thanks again.

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?